Wednesday 6 July 2011

Asda Deep Filled Steak & Gravy Pies



Description: Diced steak with rich gravy, baked in golden shortcrust pastry.

Cost: 2 packets for £3.50

Cooking time: 30mins on number 6.

Verdict: These pies were a nice surprise. My missus bought these on one of her weekly shopping trips as they were on offer. You get 4 small individual sized pies in a box and its 2 boxes for £3.50. You can buy 1 box for £1.98 if you don't have the room in your freezer.

Being the greedy so and so I am, I stick 2 pies in the oven for myself along with some star shaped chips (shhh.. dont tell anyone). Pie is ready after 35mins and I tip it out of the metal foil onto my plate. That's the first test. It comes out of the foil perfectly, no sticking and no mess.

Cut into the pie and the steak smells good. Crust is puff pastry, so nice and flaky, with right amount of stodge in the base. The insides of the pie are more than acceptable for the price. The steak obviously isn't as good as you`d get from your local butcher, but was more than good enough for me. No gristle and nice and tender. The gravy really did taste good also, although I did make some extra myself to go over the star shaped chips.

I did find that my eyes were nearly bigger than my belly on this one, and after stuffing the chips, the peas and the first pie, I was starting to feel a bit full. But I forced the 2nd one down.

Certainly excellent value at what works out to be 75p a pie. Definitely one of the better pies Ive tried this year so far.

I`ll rate this stomach filler at 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment