Monday 11 July 2011

Tesco Shortcrust Pastry Minced Steak and Onion Pie



Description: Crisp shortcrust pastry pie filled with tender minced steak and onion in a rich gravy

Cost: Normally 2 for £2.50.

Cooking: Number 6 for 25mins

Verdict: Well, I got lucky down tescos at the weekend. 10mins before closing time and they had reduced the prices of some items down by loads. This pie was 79p! Too good to resist.

Got home, bunged it in the oven and sat back and waited. Normal cooking instructions - middle of oven, number 6 on the gas for 25mins. I put some new potatoes in the pan to boil and served it up with peas.

I was a bit wary, as normally id have a much bigger pie than this just for myself, but I was not disappointed. This is a serious pie. The short crust pasty was much more filling than puff pastry, and they didn't scrimp on the filling, this was very tasty. Nice bit of mince in there, no gristle, and a hint of onion - but not over powering.

By the end of the meal I was proper stuffed and very satisfied. Definitely a lovely pie which I would love to eat again. But.... and here's the big but.... at the normal price of £1.25 each, is it really worth nearly twice the price of the Asda steak pie? That will be a tough choice to make. I think i`ll have to try the Asda one tomorrow and do a back to back test on them.

Rating? Definitely an 8/10 for this bad boy pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment