Wednesday 7 September 2011

Waitrose Steak and Mushroom Pie


Description: Tender British Steak with Rich Gravy encased in a shortcrust pastry.

Cost: £2.89 for 2 small individual pies.

Cooking: 40 minutes on number 6.

Verdict: First impressions? Well a bit disappointing so far. Pie looks nothing special out of the packet. Its oval shaped rather than the round shape most pies seem to be. Normally id scoff 2 of these sized pies down, but at 612 calories per pie, that's a lot, so i`ll settle with one and hope it fills me up.

The packaging appears to rely more on a lovely picture of a steak pie, rather than loads of text describing some "fictional mystical pie crafted by Gods hands himself" in the hope you buy the product.

My last Waitrose pie, the incredible Roast Chicken was awesome and still one of the top pies I've ever tasted, so I am really hoping this Steak and Mushroom pie is just as good.

40mins and the pie was cooked perfectly. The pastry was crisp but a bit thinner than other shortcrust pastries I've had. Gravy had a rich colour to it, the chunks of steak were of a decent size. The mushroom wasn't chunks but very thin slices and not many in the pie. In fact you couldn't really taste the mushroom in it.

The steak was tasty and tender, but not so tender that it melted in your mouth. It tasted very nice but had to chew it more than I expected. Don't take that wrong, it wasn't tough or grisly, but you had to chew it. The gravy was nice and rich and beef like. But I kept thinking that I am still going to be hungry once I'm finished and this meaty pie is 612 calories!!

Final verdict, I'm not too impressed. A "nice" pie, but nothing special. It did fill me up, but wont be buying this one again.

Calorie count for this pie is 612 for a small pie which is a hell of a lot for a small pie!

Rating?  4 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment