Friday 18 November 2011

Birds Eye Chicken Pies




Description: "Succulent chicken breast pieces, vegetables and gravy in delicious shortcrust pasty" and "made with 100% Chicken breast"

Cost: £2.69 for pack of 4 small pies.

Cooking: 35 minutes on number 6.

Verdict: This was another pie someone has asked me to review and put through my experienced taste test. The price wasn't too bad. I got these on offer, so it was £2 for 4 pies. Each pie looked slightly too small for an individual portion (although maybe I'm just greedy), so I had 2 pies.

Out the oven they smelt awesome and I was thrown back to memories of the incredible Waitrose chicken pie I reviewed a few months back which I rated as 9/10. Cutting the pie open and nice looking gravy came out. The chicken was tasty and you could believe it was definitely 100% breast as the packaging stated. What I didn't like was the chicken had been chopped up into small cubes, rather than big chunks like the Waitrose pie. The gravy was tasty, but didn't seem to be as tasty as I was expecting. There was a couple of very small slivers of carrot in the pie, which must have been the vegetables that Birds Eye mention on the package.

The shortcrust pastry was really good. Very nice indeed and certainly filled me up. I hadn't had a shortcrust pie for a while, so it was a very nice treat.

Whats the verdict then? Well, certainly a good pie, I've had several people recommend it, so its clearly popular, and according to the packaging this is Birds Eye`s best selling pie. Personally I didn't think it was as tasty as the Waitrose chicken pie. I think a few tweaks and this pie could have probably matched it, but it fell just slightly short. Its still a good pie then and I definitely recommend you try it. Its one of the better chicken pies I've tried.

As always I give you the calorie content which is 460 per pie, which is very reasonable.


Rating? 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment