Friday 18 November 2011

Tesco Deep Fill Steak & Mushroom Pie





Description: Flaky puff pastry pie filled with tender British steak and mushrooms in a delicious rich gravy.

Cost: 2 family pies for £5 special offer.

Cooking: Number 6 for 60 mins

Verdict: I cooked this pie with some trepidation, as having tried and been very disapointed with the Steak version of this pie previously I was not holding high expectations for this Steak and Mushroom variation. But, looking in the freezer I really fancied some steak & mushroom.

As before, the pie looks very deep fill, which is what they claim on the packaging, waiting for it to cook I refreshed myself with my other tesco deep fill reviews, and other steak & mushroom pies ive tried to see what this pie is up against.

Well after 60mins pie is ready and im upset to see ive run out of my normal peas which I always have alongside the potatoes with the pie to keep all the other factors the same for all my reviews. So, in this case I will have to opt for brocoli instead.

The pie is flaky, and cut it open. Hey presto, its the same as the last Tesco Deep Fill pie inside. The "steak" is more like ox tail soup. There are plenty of mushrooms sliced up, id estimate 1 muchroom per half of pie. I ate half a pie, being a fat so-and-so!. To my surprise, having not found any lumps of steak in the previous Tesco Deep Fill steak pie, i stumbled across a lump of "steak" in this pie. Okay, so it was a bit fatty and not good steak, but it really puzzled me. Should this pie be full of lumps of steak and their pie machine has broken? Or was this lump a mistake?!
 
In fact I was so puzzled by this single lump of steak that I checked the other half of the pie. In there I found 4 pieces of steak, about 2cm square. Baring in mind this pie would probably feed 4 people, that roughly works out that each person will only get 1 small piece of steak in their pie!!! Bit tight to say the least!!! Or, if you were unlucky you`d get none and the person next to you would all 5 pieces!

The actual gravy was extremely tasty. The mushrooms add a lovely flavour to it and its nice and thick. But the experience of eating this pie was more like having some nice thick  ox tail soup between bits of puff pastry.

Im going to say its better than the Steak version, but wont be on my shopping list.

Calorie wise, 3rd of the pie is 437 calories which isnt too bad.

Rating? 4 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment