Thursday 8 December 2011

Morrisons Shortcrust Steak & Kidney Pie


Description: Diced British beef and kidney in a rich gravy encased in shortcrust pastry.

Cost: Single 200g pie normally costs £1.39, but this was reduced to 69p which made it very appealing to a tight git like me.

Cooking: Number 4 for 25 minutes

Verdict: The picture on the box showed an awesome looking steak and kidney pie, packed full of lumps of steak with a lovely shortcrust pastry. It really did make my mouth water just looking at it.

In the oven it goes on number 4. I was a bit apprehensive about number 4 because its quite low, but that's what the instructions say...

25mins later, out it comes and the middle is still a little cold. I knew it... should have used number 5 or 6 I think.

So whats the pie like? Well, being the expert I am, i am used to being disappointed with the actual pie compared to the one on the box. Its a bit like going into McDonalds and you know the burger they will give you looks nothing like the one on the poster!

Cutting the pie open and the crust was perfect. Nice, tasty, stodgy, very impressive. Inside the pie I struggled to find any meat at all. So much for lumps of steak. I found 3 small pieces of steak hiding in this pie and they were not great - bit grizzly. The kidney and gravy wasn't great either. In all fairness I felt robbed, even though this pie only cost me 69p. I really feel sorry for anyone who forked out the full £1.39 for this lager shandy of a pie.

Definitely wont be buying this one again.

Calorie wise, a single 200g pie is 592 calories.

Rating? 2.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment