Thursday 3 January 2013

Hollands Meat Pie






Description: A tasty mix of seasoned beef and pork wrapped in our unique golden shortcrust pastry.

Cost: £1.40 for 2 pies.

Cooking: Number 6 for 35mins from frozen.

Verdict:  Following the large amount of interest my last Hollands pie review generated, and how good their pie was, I felt I had to try some more. Luck was in and down my local supermarket they had double reduced the Hollands Meat Pie down to just 44p for 2. Now that's what I call a bargain!! You cant even get a bag of crisps for 44p and here I got 2 pies!

As before, Hollands have their own website and sure enough this pie is shown on there - the picture of the pie is actually how the pie looks inside. That alone is a rarity these days to have a pie which looks like the picture the maker shows you.

 http://www.hollandspies.co.uk/  

This meat pie looked a bit smaller than the previous Hollands "Potato & Meat" pie id tried, so i decided to cook both for my tea rather than just one.

They came out of the oven piping hot and I tucked in. The first thing I noticed when I cut the pie open was that it wasn't how I expected inside. Normally when you think of a meat pie you assume its lumps of steak in a thick steak beefy gravy - maybe with a hint of onions. But no. In this case Hollands use a mixture of beef & pork for their filling and no gravy. It actually tasted just like a hot pork pie! The texture of the meat, the way the filling looked, all looked like the inside of a pork pie. The seasoning was nice, slightly peppery / spicy and the pastry was their trademark style - lovely, crunchy, filling - definitely very nice pie pastry.

All in all another tasty Hollands pie which I enjoyed. The filling was not what I expected from the name, but was still enjoyable. Maybe if it was labelled a "Beef & Pork Pie" it would more suit the filling. I also found the filling whilst very tasty to be a bit "airy". My only other critique was the size. 1 pie was not enough, and 2 was just a bit too much. Maybe if it was 1.5 times bigger it would be an ideal size! Or maybe im just greedy?!


Calorie wise, each pie is 405 calories.

Rating? 8 out of 10. Definitely a pie to try and another cracking pie from Hollands.

No comments:

Post a Comment