Monday 24 December 2012

Hollands Potato & Meat Pie





Description: A mixed of diced potato, beef & seasoning, encased in our unique, golden, shortcrust pastry.

Cost: £1.20 each pie.

Cooking: Number 5 for 20mins from fresh.

Verdict:  I happened to mention to some friends about my piereview site one evening and before I know it, a few days later the doorbell goes and they have bought around some pies for me to try! Must be the season of good will as this is the 2nd lot of pie pressies I've been given! So thanks to Nicola and Jim for introducing me to these pies!

This time the pies were by a company called Hollands - they have their own website here:  http://www.hollandspies.co.uk/  

I was quite excited as the pies were potato & meat and I hadn't had one of them for a very long time.

In the oven it goes and without thinking I put on my normal potato & peas side dishes. Afterwards I wished I hadn't as there was enough potato in the pie without any more on the side.

The pie looked a nice size, quite chunky, certainly a good sized individual pie with some body to it. Out of the oven once cooked and it smelt really nice. Cutting it open revealed a full filling - no skimping here. Nice soft chunks of potato and some minced beef. It all came in a nice creamy sauce which tasted a bit like nice creamy mash. The mince had a hint of onions to it, but only mild and there were no hard grisly bits. The pastry was very good. Not crumbly like your`d expect most shortcrusts, but more stodgy. Reminded me a bit of the suet pastry my mum used to make. I soon found the pie started filling me up, so it was good job I only put one in the oven and wasn't greedy!

My only fault was that I felt there was a fraction too much potato in the pie and not quite enough mince. Apart from that, this really is a cracking pie and actually whole meal in itself. Its the sort of pie you could buy cooked from a shop whilst out on a winters shopping trip and sit in a city centre enjoying on its own. It would certainly warm your cockles and fill your tummy.

After the makers tweeted me at @piereviews I had a look at their website and they certainly do have a really good site and a great range of pies. They even have mail order deliveries from their website if you cant find them in the local supermarket. I cant wait to try their other pies now! 

Calorie wise, each pie is 402 calories.

Rating? 8 out of 10. Definitely one to buy and easily the best potato & meat pie I've had so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment