Saturday 15 February 2014

ASDA Chicken and White Wine Pie








Description: Tender British Chicken Smothered in our glossy cream and white wine sauce, with a crown of crisp, flaky pastry.

Cost: £1 for single pie.

Cooking: Number 4 for 25mins from fresh or 45 mins from frozen.

Verdict: I hadn't had a Chicken & White Wine pie for a long time, and I remember being really impressed by the Sainsbury's version which I tried last year, so I had high expectations for the ASDA version.

Out of the packet and the pie is the typical decent single portion size. In the oven it goes whilst I get some potatoes boiling ready to make some mash.

25 minutes later and the pie was smelling lovely. Out of the oven and the pastry has risen nicely. On the plate and cutting open and the contents didn't disappoint me visually. Nice creamy gravy, I could see some nice lumps of chicken and the sauce smelt good. I couldn't smell any wine though so it must have all been absorbed during making the sauce.

Taste wise, the pastry was nice and filling, plenty of it and it held the contents in perfectly. The chicken was tender and there was the right amount of sauce for the pastry. Unfortunately the sauce was very bland which is where the pie let itself down. I couldn't taste any wine, or anything else for that matter really. It was like a creamy chicken soup sort of sauce rather than anything special.

Still, for a chicken pie, it wasn't too bad, therefore I would be tempted to buy it again in the future.
Calorie wise, 585 calories per pie.

Rating? 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment