Sunday 28 August 2011

Iceland Family Pie



Description: "Short crust pasty filled with tender pieces of steak in a rich gravy topped with a puff pasty lid."

Cost: £2 for the family sized pie, or 2 of my sized portions!

Cooking: 60 minutes on number 6.

Verdict: First impressions, I was not expecting much from this pie. £2 for a large pie is very cheap and iceland is not renown for its quality pies. Also, I have been spoilt, the last pie I reviewed was from Waitrose, so its from one end of the scale to the other! The pie looks okay from out of the packaging, but the cooking will be the proof of the pudding...  (or the pie!)

Well, 60mins on number 6 as per the instructions and the pie looks done, but middle was not quite cooked. I'm now doubting my cooker, i may have to replace it as this isn't the first time this has happened. So, I bunged it in the microwave for 2 Min's to finish it off.

Cut it in half and nice amount of gravy came out, had it with mash and peas as always. My first shock was the meat in this steak pie was all the steak was pre cut into nice 1cm square cut pieces of meat. That was really unexpected and really strange as i expected chucky bits of steak not something which looked like it came out of a press! 

So on the plate it goes and I tuck in.

The gravy was plentiful and very tasty. Nice and thick and plenty of it. Nice steak tasting, thick and had a nice hint of onion & steak to it. The dodgy looking cubes of meat were actually tender and tasty whilst the pastry matched what I expected from a puff pastry pie. Have to say I was very surprised. I expected a seriously dodgy pie here, but whilst it looked a bit crap with the weird looking squares of meat this is a tasty pie! And for £2. That's a bargain, this would easily feed a family, and for that price you cant grumble. I do wonder what they put in it to make it taste so good, this pie was a real surprise, I just didn't expect it to taste any good. I think for £2 i would definitely buy this one again. Its not the sort of pie you would dish up for the romantic meal for 2, but for a cheap weekday family meal this is definitely on the shopping list.

Calorie count as always for those healthy people, this pie is 960 calories per half a pie, which really amazed me, as I'm still slightly peckish, which just isn't right after gobbling nearly 1000 calories down me.

Rating? 6.5 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment