Tuesday 16 August 2011

Tesco Steak and Ale pie




Description: Puff Pastry, Deep fill Steak & Ale Pie. Delicious puff pastry filled with tender British Steak in a rich ale gravy.

Cost: 2 for £5.

Cooking: 50mins on Number 4.

Verdict: I love Steak pies as you may have guessed from my other posts on this review blog. And I especially love Steak and Ale. I made a cracking one last year with diced steak and Stella. Saw this one, and decided to get it. Stuck it in the oven and did fresh potatoes and (surprising for me) broccoli and cauliflower for the veg - really pushing the boat out over my normal peas.

50mins later, veg and potatoes are ready and i get the pie out. Looks crispy, cut it in half for my normal half size portion. Instantly I think something isn't right. There is no gravy coming out. Hmmm. Try a bit of the middle of the pie and its ice cold. WTF. 50mins... still cold? I thought number 4 was a bit low. So, stick it back in, number 6 for another 20mins.

This time its ready. Dish up half but of course I now have cold veg and I'm not a happy chappy.

So, whats the pie like. Well... it has lots of potential. It is tasty, but its a let down. I counted only 4 diced pieces of steak in the half of pie i had. The crust and pastry was okay, and the taste of the meat / filling was nice. But, there was no gravy. If this had gravy pouring out, and 4 times the meat then we would be talking of an ace pie. All in all I was very disappointed. Maybe the other half has all the meat? I dunno, but i feel really let down. Not only that, I am still hungry!!!!! That's a first for half a pie like this. I could easily eat the other half of the pie right now and that just cant be right?!!?!!!

Calorie wise, half the pie was 660calories and that just isn't good when you don't feel full.

A sad disappointment. It just had so much potential and teased you with its taste, but just never quite made it.

Rating? 5 out of 10 for this sad pie. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment