Wednesday 31 August 2011

Tesco Minced Beef & Onion Pies



Description: Shortcrust pastry base filled with minced beef & onion in a gravy sauce topped with a light puff pastry lid. No Artificial Preservatives, flavours or colours.

Cost: 84p (yes, 84p!!!) for 4 pies.

Cooking: 40 minutes on number 6.

Verdict: First impressions? Well, what can I say. Its a stripey brand pie! And at 84p for 4 (yes, that's 84p for four) you seriously can not expect much here. Its not the sort of pie id normally buy, but I was in Tescos at the weekend buying literally a trolley full of pies and saw this one. I nearly did a double take at the price, and figured, for that sort of cash, what the hell. Even if I bin it after 1 mouthful, I will have had my moneys worth!

Open the packet and as expected these are not manly looking pies, they are a bit flat, but until I cook em I wont know what they are like. 40mins on number 6 isn't bad for a pie, so the wait isn't going to kill me. And being the fat so & so I am, I bung 2 of these dubious sounding stripey things in the oven!

40mins later and the pies are looking lovely and brown, nicely cooked, not over done at all. Cut them open and out came this lovely thick mince gravy. Hmmm.. are these really stripey brand pies? Well to cut a long story short, I think i have found a bargain here. The pastry was nice, crispy, not flaky and tasty. The mince whilst being very small pieces of mince - so it was more like a thick gravy was actually very tasty. No gristle or hard bits. The gravy was thick, onion & a kind of ox-tail soup flavour to it. There was just the right amount of gravy too, I didn't have to try and perk this pie up with some brown sauce or anything.

All in all I am very surprised. If you compare this to the "Freshpack minced beef & onion pies" I bought from iceland a few weeks back, this is like night & day, and these are actually cheaper! These are even better than the cheapie Iceland steak pie I had last week. Just goes to show that you can get a decent tasting cheap pie. You just need to shop around - or read a blog like mine which saves you the trouble.

I will definitely be buying these again, no question about it. I also bought some of the stripey chicken & veg pies too, so will see how they compare later in the week.

Calorie count as always for those healthy people, this pie is 375 calories per pie, which is about normal for a small pie. I had 2 (I'm a piggy), making that 750 for me.

Rating? 7.5 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment