Wednesday 5 December 2012

M. Newitt & Sons Venison Pie in Game Sauce







Description: Venison pie in a game sauce

Cost: £5.95 for family sized pie. But free to me as it was a gift!

Cooking: 30minutes on number 6 from fresh.

Verdict: First impressions? Well, I had some guests over mine for the weekend and to my surprise and joy they bought me a pie as a gift from their local butchers. They know me too well!

The pie came in a lovely paper bag depicting the butchers shop it was from. In this case it was "M. Newitt & Sons" who are based in Thame, Oxford. It showed a pic of a traditional looking butchers shop, along with their details... their website is: www.newitt.co.uk

The pie itself looked like a nice home made family sized pie as you can see in the picture. Shortcrust pastry and a reasonably deep size.

In the oven it goes and 30mins later its lovely & ready. I couldn't wait.


Cutting the pie open and I was not disappointed at all. There was loads of chunky meat inside, i could see small slices of onions and the gravy smelt incredible. It smelt very much like a rabbit stew, but richer.

The meat was lovely & soft, no hard bits or anything - which was good as sometime in game type pies you can get bits of shot or bone etc.. but this was perfect. The gravy tasted like it had red wine in it and reminded me of a thick rabbit stew - my only fault was that the gravy was quite rich. I ate half a pie in one sitting, but id recommend having just 1/4 or 1/3rd as that would have been more than enough.

The pastry was also great, no leakages from the filling and just the right thickness. 

All in all, this was one incredibly tasty pie, really hit all the taste buds and was perfect for Sunday lunch on a wet cold December day.


Id definitely buy this one again and if I'm ever in Thame I will pop into the butchers and congratulate them as I'm going to award this pie a 10/10 !

Calorie count - as this was a home made butchers pie I'm not sure, but id guess about 600 calories per half a pie.

Rating?   10 out of 10. (Perfect Venison pie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment