Friday 7 December 2012

Sainsbury's Deep Filled Steak & Ale Pie






Description: Tender British beef with a rich Irish stout ale gravy in shortcrust pastry topped with golden flaky puff pastry.

Cost: 2 family pies for £5 special offer.

Cooking: Number 4 for 35mins from fresh or 55 mins from frozen.

Verdict: The lovely wife surprised me by bringing home a couple of new pies I hadn't tried before from her trip down the shops. The first of the pies was this Sainsbury's Steak & Ale pie. Now.. those of you who read my blog regularly will know I've already tried the Tesco version of this pie and was disappointed with lack of contents, and id also tried the Morrisons version of this pie which reminded me of cat food. So, I was intrigued as to what the Sainsbury's version would be like.

Out of the packet and it certainly is a deep looking pie, promising a lot of contents. In the oven it goes from fresh for the recommended time.

Pie was soon ready and cutting it open the pastry was lovely and flaky, and the filling looked good. The pie is quite a good size, so for me, 1/3rd was plenty. The filling had nice sized lumps of very tasty tender steak and the gravy... well... it was just incredible. Very tasty gravy indeed. You could really taste the ale and a hint of onions... really nice.

My only complaint was that whilst it was billed as a deep fill, i felt they could have put a bit more filling in. I didn't notice any more filling that you`d get in a normal sized pie.

Definitely one to buy again and certainly miles better, in my opinion, than the Tesco`s & Morrisons versions.
 
Calorie wise, 3rd of the pie is 464 calorie.

Rating? 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment