Saturday 24 May 2014

Ginsters Peppered Steak Pie





Description: British steak with onion in a creamy pepper sauce in a shortcrust pastry base topped with light puff pastry.

Cost: £1.89 for an individual pie.

Cooking: Number 6 for 25minutes from fresh. Add 10minutes if frozen.

Verdict: I didn't realise Ginsters did pies like this, I normally associate the brand more with slices and pasties which you might get from your local garage. Still, I do enjoy a nice steak pie and since this is a peppered steak I thought it would give the pie a nice twist.

In the oven the pie went, one pie is a single serving. Its a typical sized pie, ideal for one person. I had it with my usual peas and potatoes. Cutting the pie open, it started to disappoint. There were only a few very small pieces of steak. At one point I did wonder if it was minced beef instead of steak as I couldn't find any, but eventually I did find a couple of small pieces. The gravy for me was the biggest disappointment. There was plenty of it, but it was like water. You could taste the onion & peppers in all fairness, but it was just too watery. If they put 4 times the meat in the pie and made the gravy a bit thicker then it would be much better. All in all it was quite a let down, especially after the last steak pie I tried. I wouldn't buy again.

Calorie wise, 534 calories per pie.

Rating? 1 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment