Saturday 24 May 2014

Pukka Pies Shortcrust Minced Steak & Onion Pie





Description: Minced steak, chopped onions and dark gravy in a shortcrust pastry case.

Cooking: 45 minutes number 4

Verdict: Pukka Pies need no introduction, and as regular readers of my blog know I am a big fan. The last one I had I gave a beefy 9 out of 10. Cracking pies.

To my surprise, I found these lurking in the back of my freezer which was a lovely surprise. As a special treat I also let Mrs Pieman have one, so I put 2 in the oven and set the timer.
 
Out of the oven and on the plate, they looked great, along side some mash and peas. Cutting them open I dived in and was immediately disappointed. I had to double check to make sure I was actually eating a Pukka Pie. The filling was bland, no taste and not much mince at all. In case my pie was faulty I had to check Mrs Piemans one on her plate, and it was unfortunately the same. She confirmed my opinion and expressed her disappointment too. I don't know what Pukka Pies are playing at, so I am hoping this was a one off and the next pie from them I try is back up to their usual standards.

Sadly I cant recommend this pie. If you want a minced steak & onion pie, id reach for the Tesco own brand ones instead.

Calorie wise its 414 calories per pie.
Rating? 2.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment